Tuesday, April 23, 2013

New Whelping Box Flooring

Time is fast approaching for the arrival of the new litter.  Yesterday morning my poor girl Mercedes had herself a wee accident through the night.  These things can happen in the last few days proceeding the birth of a litter with the pressure of the pups bearing done making ready for their entrance into this World.

"It was only a matter of time I had everything cleaned up and scrubbed thoroughly, before Mercedes was back in the pen all happy and very grateful I might add."


"Last night after supper we got the new flooring cut out and ready to line the inside of the whelping box.  We opted to buy bevelled strips for the edges to hold the flooring in place, as I did not want it glued down in case it somehow was chewed causing a problem with toxins of a glue.  The metal strips can be un-screwed and reused when the time comes to put in new flooring to re-line the box again."


"Approval of the new flooring was met by Mercedes in no time at all."


I am pretty confident we are all ready for the arrival of Mercedes and Buddy's first litter of babies.  Have I mentioned yet how excited I am????

Here is an interesting site I had come across in constructing a whelping box HERE.

For those new "puppy owners", we here at The "Checkerboard Aussies" have crate trained our dogs for over 20 years.  We highly recommend it and have always experienced "positive" results.  Here is an article on "Crate Training" that I enjoyed reading myself just recently:

http://dogtime.com/housetraining-crate-training.html#

Hopefully the next blog post will be one filled with Puppy News !!!!

Cindy, Owner/Breeder of The "Checkerboard Aussies"

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the new puppies. And mamas everywhere are relating to those last few days being a bit trying at times. ;) Glad she approved of her new flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you got things set up just in time too.

    ReplyDelete